This article is written primarily for people who know nothing about kitesurfing. Perhaps you saw how beautiful it looks and want to try something new and interesting for yourself, as well as join the culture of wind-dependent!
- Kitesurfing is.
- Why kitesurfing doing?
- How to learn to kitesurfing?
- What do you need to go kitesurfing?
- What is included in the set of equipment and how much does it cost?
- What you shouldn’t save on!
Kitesurfing, kiteboarding or snowkiting is that.
Friends, hello everyone. Today we’ll talk about kitesurfing and an active lifestyle. I think everyone is interested in what kitesurfing is today as a sport and as a favorite hobby, as well as how much this hobby will cost you.
A moment of history.
The first kitesurfing kite was developed by two brothers, Bruno and Dominique Leguinu, from the Atlantic coast of France in the late 1970s and early 1980s. And already in November 1984 the first inflatable kite was patented. Since then, this design has been used by many snake companies.
Today, kitesurfing is developing very dynamically as a sport, and has already been included in the program of the 2024 Olympic Games. He also became mega popular among ordinary riders, ordinary city dwellers. The ability to conquer the air and the sea is available to almost everyone.
Why kitesurfing doing?
The first thing that comes to mind is just a fun and bright pastime. Once you buy equipment and learn to ride, your life will change radically! You will be looking for any opportunity to get out on the gurney, to meet the same wind-dependent friends like you. This is a great opportunity to spend your free time actively, useful and positively, and the reason for this is the kiting party – a society of active, energetic, successful and cheerful people.
The second reason is the desire to become an athlete, or to become a pro rider! Because pro-riding promises a lot of nice buns – from fame – your face on the posters of a famous brand, to Olympic medals in your piggy bank of achievements! After all, kitesurfing every year becomes more and more prestigious and tempting.
Let’s figure out what kitesurfing is.
There are several styles of riding:
- Freeride (freeride) – free skiing in the water area or travel.
- Freestyle (freestyle) – jumping and performing all sorts of acrobatic stunts.
- Wave (wave riding) – riding on the waves, when the kiteboarder uses not only the power of the kite’s traction for jumping, but also the wave as a springboard, such riding is similar to classic surfing.
- Wake – a new style of kitesurfing that came from wakeboarding – riding on a pond using the power of an electric winch or the movement of a boat. Unlike the old school and high jumps on the hook, the wake style is more dynamic, spectacular and exciting.
- Race (racing disciplines) – race on a distance against time.
How to learn to kitesurfing?
You can learn kitesurfing or snowkiting in kite schools, as well as from freelance instructors. The best way to make sure of the competence and quality of the school is, of course, the recommendations of friends, although they are sometimes subjective, since beginners, at the initial stages, may poorly navigate these issues. Usually everything happens through personal experience, trial and error.
Kitesurfing is fraught with difficulties and dangers both for the skier himself and for other vacationers on the water. They can be avoided by starting training under the guidance of an experienced instructor. It should be borne in mind that kitesurfing is an extreme sport in which you can get injured even with full compliance with safety rules (for example, due to getting into a thermal, a sudden gust of wind, a dip in the wind during a jump, etc.) … Therefore, self-study of kitesurfing is highly discouraged. It is better to study in kite schools, and those that conduct training in their native language for the listener, since a misunderstanding can lead to an error or injury.
Our opinion is that you need to learn from those people who have been teaching kitesurfing for several seasons, have serious experience behind them and whom they gladly recommend. We will tell you about how to become a kite instructor and what kind of life it is next time.
What do you need to go kitesurfing?
To learn this sport you need:
- choose a kite school or a freelance instructor;
- appropriate equipment;
- a place for classes;
- compliance with safety regulations.
Training equipment must be new or in excellent condition. The reason for this is the high wear rate of kites (kites) in the process of teaching beginners. In addition, a large selection of equipment should be available, for different wind conditions and the complexion of students. Equipment rental is always included in the cost of training. After mastering the basic course, you have the right to decide for yourself whether to buy personal equipment for yourself or to rent it. It all depends on your intentions and ambitions in this sport. If you go to the sea a couple of times during the summer to go for a ride, there is no point in purchasing your own equipment, it is easier to rent it. But if you do often and want to progress, then buying your own equipment is the best solution.
Open spaces are the best place to practice. This is either the coast of the seas with stable and favorable wind statistics, or large snow fields when it comes to snowkiting. Favorite gathering places for gurney riders are called kitespots. This is a prepared and wide part of the coastline, convenient for safe launching and landing of the kite, as well as an open and safe water area for skiing. It will be difficult to ride on small and fresh water bodies, since the wind in such places is very gusty and often dangerous for skiing. And with regards to training, it is completely unsuitable. In the vastness of Ukraine and Russia there are many comfortable and safe spots, the most famous are on the Black and Azov Seas. Their distinctive feature is a mild summer climate, good wind statistics, a significant shallow water area (this is very important for training), as well as the absence of various dangers on the water in the form of underwater reefs, sunken hazards, broken glass or sharp stones and rocks.
What is included in the set of equipment and how much does it cost?
The set of equipment includes:
- kites the most expensive piece of equipment is kites (kites). In order to roll in any wind conditions and cover the entire wind range, any rider needs at least 3 kites based on his weight. For professional athletes and guys who are aiming for pro riders, the arsenal of equipment should be even higher. The price for a kite this year is from $ 900 to $ 2200, depending on the size of the canopy and the popularity of the manufacturer. The older the kite, by the year of production, the cheaper it will cost you. But you should not buy a kite older than 5 years, as technology does not stand still and new kites will be more productive and more efficient than their predecessors. And they will last longer. You can also consider used kites (used), but this involves certain risks. Financial savings with this approach can result in a problem with the further operation of the equipment, and also create a danger to your health. If you take used kites, then from people whom you know well and who can vouch for their goods, who did not dissolve in an unknown direction at the first problematic case. Since the snake itself is the most worn-out part of the equipment, it automatically requires the most attention when buying. You can find out how to choose a used kite in our previous video, the link will be in the description.
- bar with slings The device of all planks is practically the same type. They differ in the size of the bar itself, which is measured in inches or centimeters, the length of the lines, the number of lines, the security system (activation of the shooting system in the event of dangerous situations), as well as the method of connecting the lines to the kite. The bars can be interchangeable, that is, you can use a bar from one manufacturer with a kite from another manufacturer, using some life hacks. But you should always remember that any manufacturer strives to make the most balanced work of the bar with the kite, so the best option would be to use your own bar together with the kite. Differences in bar weight, quality of execution and design features can significantly affect the control of the kite. Considering all these differences, you should understand that, before going out on the water with unfamiliar equipment, first of all, you should familiarize yourself with it in detail on the shore and test the security system (Chickenloop device, harness attachment, dipauer system). will cost between $ 400 and $ 600, depending on the brand. Used planks will cost around $ 200-250. But when buying a used plank, it is imperative to do a thorough examination of its condition and suitability for safe use. You can see more details in our video on choosing a plank. Link in the description.
- trapezoid An important part of the kite equipment is the trapezoid – this is the thing that is directly put on the rider’s body and to which a bar with lines is attached, for direct transmission of the traction force generated by the kite and supplying it to the board (kiteboard). :
- Seated trapeze (target audience: beginners, athletes in cruising disciplines, as well as snowkiting).
- Belt harnesses (target audience: most skiers, freestyle athletes, etc.).
- A-line shorts
- Or a trapezoid life jacket.
- The cost of a trapezoid is from $ 100 to $ 500. The main differences are in the quality of performance, in the materials used, in the brands, and also in the application. For example, a carbon trapezoid, which can be used in freestyle disciplines and which costs $ 450-500 for an ordinary weekend rider, is completely unnecessary, and you can get by with a trapezoid that costs $ 100-150.
- kite boards are also divided into several types, depending on the place of their application. The most common boards are twin-type boards (boards that have the same nose and tail size, and the mounts are accordingly installed equidistant from the center of the board). Such boards are used both in daily skiing and in freestyle. They may differ in design, the shape of the sliding surface, the end parts, but this is a separate topic for a completely different video. There are also wave boards, similar to surfboards, for riding on the waves. Recently, hydrofoils (boards with a hydrofoil) are gaining popularity. which, going on a speedboat, begin to soar above the water surface, have high speed characteristics, good windwind performance and have consolidated their leadership positions in cruising disciplines. The cost of a brand new board will cost from $ 200 to $ 2500, depending on its type, size, materials used during its manufacture, its technical characteristics, as well as from the year of manufacture. As for the purchase of used boards, this option can be safely considered, since in order to make the board unusable, you need to try hard and accidentally get on an unscrupulous seller. As a rule, used boards do not fall much in price from their initial cost, 20-30% maximum.
- Wetsuit one of the important elements of kiter equipment is a wetsuit. In the warm summer, during normal skiing, you can do without it, but if you are an athlete, or temperature conditions have changed, or there is a need to protect yourself from the sun and small scratches in case of accidental incidents, here you will not do without a wetsuit. Their cost differs from the shape (short or long), from the thickness of the neoprene (the fabric used in the manufacture of a wetsuit), from its quality, as well as the beauty of this product. Typically wetsuits range in price from $ 100 to $ 500.
- kite accessories include hydro shoes and hydro gloves, which are necessary in the cold season, as well as for training and for protection from corals and other hazards at the bottom of water bodies. Kite goggles to protect the eyes from ultraviolet radiation, because solar radiation is reflected from the water as well. Sunscreens and kiter clothing (lycra, shorts, swimwear, baseball caps, etc.).
In conclusion, to all that has been said, let’s summarize how much an average kit for a beginner kiter will cost.
- Dome size 9m – $ 1500
- Dome size 12m – $ 1700
- Dome size 15m – $ 2000
- Plank with slings – $ 450
- Trapeze – 200 $
- One board (further at will and according to interests) – $ 500
- Wetsuit – $ 300
- Accessories – $ 150
- Total amount – 6800 $
The cost of training will cost you from $ 350 to $ 600, which depends on the school, as well as the country in which you will rest and study.
In Russia and Ukraine, the cost of training is on average $ 350-400, which is only 6% of the estimated cost of kitesurfing as a hobby, ideally.
What shouldn’t you save on?
I would like to add to the above that, of course, there are many different ways how you can significantly reduce the total amount to the $ 1000-2000 mark. After all, to begin with, you do not need all 3 kites and one size will be enough for an average wind (for example, 12m), for which you will be ready after training. It is also not necessary to buy a new bar, harness and kiteboard. You will not be able to save much on a wetsuit, since this is a personal and necessary thing. Plus, you can win on all kinds of discounts, sales and promotions.
But what you should not save on is training, because you need an instructor not for beauty and maintaining a conversation on vacation, but for fast, positive and, above all, safe training.
Like that’s all, value your time, love to relax, come to our sea to kite on the waves, if you have any questions, ask!
Thank you for your interest in this article! QuStyleTeam kite school was with you. Subscribe to our social. network to be the first to know the latest news and useful information!